WHAT IS HAMMER TOE?
A Hammer Toe is a deformity that causes your toe to bend or curl downward instead of pointing forward. This deformity can affect any toe on your foot; however, it most often affects the second toe or third toe. Although a Hammer Toe may be present at birth, it usually develops over time due to wearing ill-fitting shoes or arthritis.
Hammer Toes can become very painful & due to pressure from footwear, they can develop a corn and/or callous on the toe which becomes painful.
- A family history of hammertoes
- Wearing tight or pointy-toed shoes
- Wearing shoes that are too small
- A Hammer Toe caused by inappropriate footwear can be corrected by wearing properly fitting shoes.
- There is a range of cushions, pads which can be used to offload the bony prominence.
- Strapping of the digit can aid in reducing the progression of the deformity.
- Medication can aid in management of arthritic pain.
- If conservative treatment fails, surgery can be performed to reposition the toe.